Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Milicast Recce Stuart Jalopy

Well the last post was all about starting a new "project" that was related to my British Battlegroup: Fall of the Reich force.  In addition to the LVTs I had a bunch of other stuff nearing completion as well - so just like most of my projects, some of them got finished first...

One of these is a Milicast Stuart Jalopy - a recon choice in FoTR.

I really love this little vehicle, which comes fully stowed giving it heaps of character.  I added the under side hull using plastic card (it is cast as 1 piece so the underside is empty), the .50 cal from a Matchbox Priest and the two AB Figures crewman in pixie suits.

Eventually I will probably weather it to make it more muddy and dusty - but I'm quite happy with where it is now.

One thing I love about this little fella, is that it doesn't have delusions about its capabilities.  With no turret and no gun, you're not tempted to take on things a recce vehicle should really be avoiding.  Instead you just go for things you can kill with a pintle mounted MG - deployed guns and infantry.

In a recent game, this fella was my star.  Survived the whole game, was fairly aggressive, got shots in nearly every turn and in the end took out a Pak40 with extra crew, and a complete infantry section.  May not sound like much - but it had a significant effect on the game.  I was rather chuffed.

That's all for now


Sunday, March 8, 2015

Airfix LVT IV - Work-in-Progress

I've been on a bit of a building spree lately, and over the weekend finished building these 2 ancient Airfix kits:

I've "chunkified" the Airfix 20mm Polsten gun as it looked a bit lame, so I used some photos of the Milicast Polsten as a guide and used various Evergreen plastic rods and beam to make it look a bit better - in a wargaming sense - not an accuracy sense.  I also added 2 x PSC .30 cal brownings to that LVT, so it has the right weaponry of Battlegroup: Fall of the Reich. FoTR provides for 2 different British LVT's, so I decided to make the other one - so I've added 2 x PSC .50 cals with plastic card gun shields.

Nothing to tricky, but within my limited skill set.

So they are now basically ready for painting.  It will be interesting to see how they perform in a game - other than having massive targets painted on them - as they hold a load of infantry